Jobs and the Economy
Anthony believes that we must work to build an economy that strengthens our commitment to middle-class families, supports small businesses, invests in its infrastructure and restores fairness and opportunity.
As Lieutenant Governor, Anthony led a number of initiatives to create jobs and strengthen Maryland’s economy. He led the effort to increase in the minimum wage, both in 2006 and again in 2014. He created a framework for public-private partnerships for infrastructure, which will create 4,000 jobs annually and allow us to build the Purple Line. He used his experience as a Colonel in the US Army to successfully implement the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) process, bringing thousands of private and public sector jobs to Ft. Meade and Joint Base Andrews. He fought to expand opportunities for minority and women-owned businesses by expanding the funds awarded to qualified Minority Business Enterprise firms from $1.1 billion in 2007 to $1.9 billion in 2012, a 70% increase.
We still have work to do. As your congressman, Anthony will ensure that all Americans have the opportunity to succeed and that all working families can enjoy economic security by working tirelessly to:
- Bring the FBI to Prince George’s county, creating private sector jobs in security and law enforcement related industry and career fields;
- Increase federal contracting opportunities for Maryland businesses around Joint Base Andrews, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, the U.S. Census Bureau, Fort Meade, the IRS Financial Service Center, and the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center;
- Invest in strong and reliable infrastructure, including a safe and reliable WMATA, as well as research and education to put people to work today and grow our economy for tomorrow;
- Simplify tax filing and provide targeted tax relief for small businesses, which create two out of every three jobs—not big corporations that need it the least;
- Ease burdens on community banks that provide credit to small, women and minority-owned businesses and families looking to invest in their futures; and
- Raise the minimum wage for all American working families.
Anthony wants to ensure that all Americans have the opportunity to succeed and that all working families can enjoy economic security.